Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The meeting - Step one to my crazy endeavor

So I went to the Team in Training meeting this past Saturday, to learn about the program. There were lots of people there who looked about as crazy as me--they were there to see about running a MARATHON! They showed a very inspiring video and made me want to sign up instantly. Then they said you have to pay $75 and I didn't have my checkbook. Oh well. But I went home and dutifully filled out the paperwork and got really psyched about doing this thing! I think I must have read the pamphlets about 5 times. I only have to raise $2100 and I know I can do it. Running 26.2 miles...well...actually, for some strange reason I am not too concerned about that part either. Maybe this is the start of my mental training and maybe I am "overtrained" already in this aspect? I have been reading a lot about preparing mentally for endurance events and I know it is super important. 

So the only real disappointing thing that several previous participants said was that they didn't lose any weight! BOO! However, after reflecting upon this sad fact, I suppose if one trains his body to run 26.2 miles the body figures it needs all the help [read: fat] it can to help you cross the finish. Also, I am trying to keep a better perspective about not so much the number on the scale but the level of fitness. And if you have trained and completed a marathon, you might be at a different level than, say, sitting on the couch hoping for a new miracle diet (Acai Berry Smoothie anyone?). 

Finally, I asked a friend of mine, Lauren, to be my Honored Hero - she is struggling now with Lymphoma and I am going to run for her. She has a beautiful family and is a lovely Christian woman. I am really proud to run for her because she also likes to run. The way I look at it is if she can fight and struggle against such a wretched disease and even treatments that make her feel wretched, the least I can do is help raise some money to possibly make folks' lives better and honor a great person while doing that. Also, what is a little muscle pain from marathon training versus the pain Lauren must be going through virtually every day?

I took a little hiatus from running last week, but did walk several days, so now with the start date of the training looming, I need to kick my pre-training into high gear. 

That date would be August 23. I am pumped!

No comments: